Monday, April 12, 2010

League Predictions Mark 2

So last week I did ok with predictions. Nailing all of Div 1 Open and 2 of 3 for Womens. This week I'm going to try and be more ambitious and more scathing in my predictions - Predicting Div 2 Open as well as the other two and hacking into teams that I feel deserve it (particularly in Div 1 Open).


So in chronological order:

Div 2 Open:

Flinders Blue Team def. Adelaide Uni 2: This has nothing to do with form, simply sheer arrogance and a decision that if a team isn't registered on the AFDA page then they're not worth worrying about. My team (Blue Team) has struggled for numbers all league and this trend seems set to continue with a couple of rookies deciding that they're going to take their sweet time coming out

AU : Death From Above def. Flycatchers: Flycatchers are a plucky team with a lot of run. Unfortunately AU:DFA are not so much pluck as they are RIDICULOUSLY STACKED. That's right I said it. Any team that has three Div 1 players on it is stacked in my opinion (unless it's in Div 1. then that's OK). The Flycatchers may put up a good showing, but I suspect they will get pummelled. To AU:DFA I say bring it! It is nice to see some competition in Div 2 this year.

UE Trombones def. Flinders Flames: Now I love my sister team as much as a brother can (at least one not from Tassie), however I don't think they have the skills to match it with UE. Nuff said.


Womens:

DD's def. DDD's: Firstly a question: What do DD and DDD stand for? Because the use of the apostrophe there confuses and infuriates me. However I will give the game to DD's as they seem to be the team with better structure and more run. DDD's may come out hard to get their first win of the season however, I suspect Alex "Jolly" Rogers, Meg "I love hills" Connel and Dani "wootrill/mackootrill/whatever" Woods may be more than a (combined) match for, Loui "Funsize" Batista, Catherine "I'm lanky" Coope and Becky "Sweet-guy-with-long-hair" Gallman. I don't know their rookies well enough to comment. I shall have to scout this week.

Satin Flycatchers def. Flinders Fun: Flinders Fun is showing potential, however they don't have the strength to match it with the gals from SF; At least not in depth. At the top end Flinders has 4 or 5 girls that can mix it quite comfortably with the top end of SF. However Flinders has more raw rookies and this may make the difference. Again, will scout this week.

Envy def. Flinders Flames: Taking down SF comfortably last week secured the girls from Envy the top spot in the league. I doubt they will be willing to give up much ground on this to the Flames. As I said last week the Flames have some strong aerial defence in the form of Alison "Wonders" Clarke and Kristen "Back the fuck off man" Burdon, as well as a couple of speedy players (Emma "Teatowels" White and Jodi "Also doesn't have a nickname" Quast), but again I feel they lack the depth to take it the whole way against Envy.

Div 1 Open:

AU : Hard Ticket def. NAU: Bottom of the table clash. The under-staffed NAU vs the under achieving AU:HT. Neither has won a game, both have strong players, both have the desire to win. In my heart I'd love NAU to win, though I feel that AU:HT have a stronger line up. That's all I will say. I feel these teams are playing for some pride here. The season is far from over, but these boys all need a win to feel like real men again.

Joel & Bumbo def. Shining Flycatchers: The Flycatchers have fallen on hard times. They have lost several good players from years past and are struggling to make it up. Up against J&B they are going to struggle to shut down long options and with the girls on J&B playing the way they have been is seems like they may struggle to generate options under. With no real talls to speak of they are going to have to rely on the ferrety tactics and skills of Sean "Traitor" Lace, Chris "ATM" Davis and Matt "Cut in circles" Ward. J&B. Convincingly.

Flinders Fury def. UE Bookmarks: This will be a tight game. UE have a very strong line-up, however I'm backing my team here. Call it arrogance, call it ego, but I feel that UE are unable to match the aerial skills of Brett "Sweet-As" Middleton, Scott "Hot-As" Middleton and Jonny "It's shit!" Warren-White. They can cover 2 of 3 with Denis and Morgan, but that still leaves one of them loping around the field with relative impunity. The real weakness for UE is not their players, they have a very strong team. On paper. The real weakness lies in their mental game, where if you can convince them that they've lost early on they generally will accept it.

Hope I get these right.


2 comments:

  1. firstly, my team is called sunbeams not flames. and secondly, we don't lose. watch us take the title baby!

    and flycatcher women's were never going to beat fun. sarah has the majic touch for womens that joel has for mens, and she knows her women well. the two peters sisters are athletic and childhood chums, her sister is playing, and she has the skills of tessa and emvic to back her. envy and fun final, fun for the win.

    the rest was a given :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. I misjuged you guys. I'm sorry Foley

    ReplyDelete