Monday, May 3, 2010

Exercise thoughts

So I've been told enough with the predictions already. So I'm done with that.
This week I won't do a proper post until after the games, I'll probably only get to comment on the Div 1 games as those are the ones I pay most attention to, but I will try to get onto the Women's and Div 2.

In other news I've started back in the gym for the first time since nationals. I hit up a leg set today and already I hurt. Tomorrow will suck I think, but it's good to be back in there.
I'm keeping a fitness diary this time around and plan to try and use the next 7-9 weeks to get as fit as I possibly can for Worlds. I don't know if I'll get as fit as I would like to be, but I'm going to make sure I get as fit as I can be.

As part of this I'm thinking seriously about training regimes and timetabling. At the moment I've started a (hellishly) ambitious program where I'm training twice a day, focussed around: Weights sessions, speed/agility work, LST/cardio training, some high intensity stuff and lots, and lots of regular, structured stretching.
I'm aiming to keep all these workout short and action intense (so agility stuff may not be exhausting, but will be really technique intense). I think this will allow me to cram as much in as possible without the risk of over-training and burning out.

The big focus for me is injury prevention. Developing power, speed, technique are all good, but useless if I'm injured/gimpy all the time. As part of this I'm really working hard on removing muscular asymmetry (a big issue for asymmetric sports such as ultimate) and developing flexibility.

2 comments:

  1. help me out. how do i remove muscular assymetry? i want to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Basically focus more on working each side of the body individually. E.g. We do a lot of right foot forward lunges in ultimate (For a righty backhand), so train in the gym to do both left and right foot forward lunges. Likewise the lat on the right hand side of the body gets used more in a game than that on a left (again for a righty backhand) so work on training both sides when you can... This works for most ultimate movements, stepping wide to throw a forehand etc etc

    ReplyDelete